Saturday, January 31, 2015

Animals in My Backyard

I have always liked observing the birds and animals in my neighbourhood. Dogs, monkeys and cows were the only animals I got to see, but I was able to observe several varieties of birds. I find watching birds very fascinating. It is also calming and humbling because, we think we have it tough in this world, but for these birds and animals, every day is a struggle. They have to fight for basic survival at all times - look for food, protect themselves from predators, find a safe place to live in these concrete jungles.

I remember waking up to the sound of birds chirping and trying to identify different birds from their calls. The birds I could see most frequently were sparrows, pigeons and crows. We have the tradition of offering the first morsel of rice cooked for the day to crows and other birds. The birds had got used to it and were quite punctual. They used to wait at the balcony precisely in time for Mom to serve them. When Mom was running late, she actually used to appologise to the crows: Sorry 'kake' (crow, in Tamil), give me ten more minutes! 

In school, during our mass drills, I used to pass my time observing the two pariah kites that had taken residence at the terrace of my school building. The kite looks majestic in flight, with its powerful wings flapping against the wind, so high in the sky. Oh to be able to fly like that! With the wind blasting on my face and the world beneath looking tiny and far away, like a toy city. Once, during another of my mass drills, I was looking skywards as usual for a trace of the kites when I spotted a flock of pigeons flying close together. The next minute, the pigeons scattered, trying to fly away as soon as they could. Puzzled, I looked around for the reason of the commotion. That was when I spotted one of the kites chasing the group of pigeons. I noticed a stark difference in the way the two birds flew. The kite, with one mighty flap of its wings gained enough momentum to glide in the direction it wanted to go. It was able to glide for quite a distance before it had to flap its wings again. The pigeon on the other hand had to flap its wings continuously in order to stay airborne. It also flew at lower altitudes than the kite. The kite had zeroed in on a pigeon who couldn't fly away in time. It made a beeline for it. I couldn't see how things proceeded from there, but later that day, I found a half- eaten carcass of a pigeon on our playground. I didn't look too closely at it. It was quite gruesome. When I got home from school, I recounted the incident to Dad, who is a nature lover too and has a great deal of knowledge about wildlife. He told me that it was highly improbable that the pigeon was killed by the kite. A cat had most probably done the deed since kites are scavengers. They feed on dead animals and plants.

Once, a family of barn owls moved into the parapet over our drawing room window. This was an exciting prospect for me as I'm a die hard Harry Potter fan. In the books, owls play the significant role of delivering post. I used to observe them every night. They were a very pretty sight: golden brown and white in colour, with large beady black eyes. Looking at them brought to mind two contrasting idioms: one in Hindi (‘ullu ke patthe!’, which roughly translates to, ‘as foolish as an owl’) and the other in English (as wise as an owl). It’s interesting to note how the two idioms which feature the same bird have exactly opposite meanings!

Monkeys used to make frequent appearances where I used to stay. These were the black faced, grey haired 'langurs' which are rarer than the regular pink faced monkeys. There was a mango tree in front of my house. Groups of langurs used to come there frequently to feast on the mangoes. Our house was on the first floor, almost level with the height of the tree, so there was always the possibility of langurs leaping from the tree to our balcony which lead to the kitchen. This has happened quite a few times. I remember two incidences.

One time, I was sitting at my desk doing homework when I heard a noise in the kitchen. As I was getting up to go check out the source of the noise, I noticed a brave little langur who had decided to explore our house. I stopped dead in my tracks. So did the langur. We noticed each other at the same time. As soon as it saw me, it scurried back to the kitchen. I followed it with increasing apprehension and was not surprised to see a group of seven - eight langurs having a gala time in the kitchen! One langur was seated very royally on top of the fridge. Some were running about the kitchen counter. Others had discovered a basket of bananas and potatoes lying in the open and were helping themselves to it. There was a tiny langur too, who was clinging tightly to its mother. The mother had an air of fierce protectiveness for her child, which was endearing to see. None of them seemed to notice me standing quietly at the doorway observing them. I did not want to alert them to my presence. So I turned and walked away as quickly as possible to call Mom. She had quite a shock on seeing so many langurs invading her kitchen. But she pulled herself together and shooed them away. Some of the larger langurs bared their teeth at her, but retreated quickly.

Langurs make a characteristic sound which goes something like, 'hoop, hoop...hoop, hoop'. One evening, Dad heard this sound and when he went to check the balcony, sure enough, there were three langurs lounging on the balcony seat. Normally langurs leap away when they see humans, but these three were braver. They weren't budging. Dad suddenly had a bizarre idea to throw one of my shoes in the direction of the langurs. He didn't intend to hit them with it, it was just to get them to move. The idea worked, but in the process, my shoe landed inside the compound of the opposite building! Luckily, the watchman of the building had been watching the proceedings with much amusement. He threw back the shoe and it fell neatly inside our balcony.

I have had some experience with cows too. Back in the day, a lot of cows could be seen on sidewalks of roads. They were mostly brown or white in colour with big menacing horns. As a kid I used to be terrified of them. If I had to go for a walk, I avoided wearing red for fear of antagonising the cows. Later on, I found out that cows are colour blind and couldn't care less what colour clothes I wore. I wonder why they show cows and bulls getting incited by the colour red. I gradually got over my fear of cows, mostly because I was confident that if a dire situation arose, I would be able to outrun the cow! I need not have worried. Cows are harmless creatures, as long as one doesn't bother them. In many cultures, feeding cows is considered to be a good deed, 'punya'.

Animals featured prominently in the stories my Dad used to tell me when I was a kid. That's probably why I notice them so much. Besides being a stress buster, observing birds and animals can teach us a lot: patience, persistence, hard work, to name a few. I recommend it to everyone.

1 comment: